When you insert a call to a copy of an action into a test, the original action is copied in its entirety, including checkpoints, parameterization, the corresponding action tab in the Data Table, plus any defined action parameters. If the test you are copying has objects in the local object repository, the copied action's local object repository is also copied together with the action.
The action is inserted into the test as an independent, non-reusable action (even if the original action was reusable). After the action is copied into your test, you can add to, delete from, or modify the action just as you would with any other non-reusable action. Any changes you make to this action after you insert it affect only this action, and changes you make to the original action do not affect the copied action.
To create a copy of an action and call the copy in your test:
- In your test, select Insert > Call to Copy of Action, right-click an action icon and select Insert Call to Copy of Action, or right-click any step and select Action > Insert Call to Copy. The Select Action dialog box opens.
- Use the From test browse button to find the test containing the action you want to copy. The Action box displays all local actions (actions that are stored with the test you selected).
Note: You can enter a Quality Center folder or a relative path in the From test box.
- If you enter a relative path, QuickTest Professional searches for the test in the folders listed in the Folders pane of the Options dialog box. For more information, see Setting Folder Testing Options and Using Relative Paths in QuickTest. (Refer Last Section)
- If you are working with the Resources and Dependencies model with Quality Center 10.00, specify an absolute Quality Center path.
- In the Action list, select the action you want to insert. When you select an action, its type (Non-reusable Action or Reusable Action) and description, if one exists, are displayed. This helps you identify the action you want to copy. For more information on action descriptions see Setting General Action Properties.
- If you want to modify the copied action's properties, select the Edit new action properties check box. If you select this option, the Action Properties dialog box is displayed when you click OK. You can then modify the action properties.
Note: If you do not select this option, you can modify the action's properties later by right-clicking the action icon in the Keyword View and selecting Action Properties.
- Decide where to insert the call to the copy of the action and select At the end of the test or After the current step.
Note: If the currently selected step is a reusable action from another test, the call to the copy of the action is added automatically to the end of the test (the After the current step option is disabled).
- Click OK. The action is inserted into the test as a call to an independent, non-reusable action. You can move your action call to another location in your test by dragging it to the desired location.
Go Back to: Call to Existing Actions.